By Adam Levitt
A new line of daypacks from Arc'teryx will hit the backs of people around the world in Fall 2014. The naming scheme pays homage to our hometown of Vancouver, BC. For those not familiar with the geography or history of our sweet city, this blog provides a brief insight into the history of the names behind the packs.
Cambie Street is a major arterial road that runs through Vancouver. The street is named for Henry John Cambie, the chief surveyor for the western division of the Canadian Pacfiic Railway in the late 1800’s. The street itself is an odd configuration of two distinct sections that run perpendicular to each other: the downtown section taking a northeast-southwest alignment and the section of road south of False Creek running north-south. This southern section was originally named Bridge Street until the second Cambie Street Bridge was opened in 1912.
The name Granville comes from first community settled where modern-day Vancouver lies; Granville Townsite. The community was named after the 2nd Earl of Granville, the British Secretary of State for the Colonies. Granville Street is one of the main thoroughfares of Vancouver and one of its most diverse. To the south, the street bisects Shaughnessy, one of the richest neighbourhoods in Canada, while north of the Granville Street Bridge it is the heart of the city’s entertainment district that includes the pedestrian friendly Granville Mall.
Vancouver has a number of streets named after Spanish explorers who were the first to chart maps of the Pacific Northwest region. Cordova Street was named by L.A. Hamilton, a Canadian Pacific Railway land commissioner. It is believed he got the name from a map by Sub-Lieutenant Manuel Quimper of the Spanish navy who named the present-day Esquimalt Harbour on Vancouver Island Puerto de Cordova after Don Antonio Bucareli Y Cordova, the 46th Viceroy of Mexico.
Pender Street was named by L.A. Hamilton after Pender Island, one the Southern Gulf Coast Islands located in the Gulf of Georgia, between the BC mainland and Vancouver Island. Pender Island was named by Daniel Pender a staff commander of the British Royal Navy. Pender, who later became captain, of the HMS Plumper, which surveyed the BC coastline from 1857-1870.
Located in the West Side of Vancouver on the southern shore on English Bay, Kitsilano, known affectionately as “Kits”, is one of the trendiest residential and commercial neighbourhoods in all of Vancouver. The area is named after Squamish chief August Jack Khatsahlano (Xats'alanexw in the Squamiah language). Kitsilano has been home to the Squamish people since the 1800’s and there still is a small plot of Indian reserve land at the foot of the Burrard Street bridge where August Jack Khatsahlano lived.
Jericho Beach lies on the southern shore of English Bay and just to the west of Kitsilano. It takes its name from the logging camp Jerry Rogers established at Jerry’s Cove in 1865: Jerry’s Cove shortened to Jericho, get it? While Jericho Beach may be a prime location to catch a lovely sunset, it also has a long military tradition. First started as a flying boat station in 1920, the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) took over in 1924 and it was renamed RCAF Station Jericho Beach. During World War II, the army’s Pacific Command Headquarters moved to Jericho Beach and in 1947, they took control of the station.